Pre-Operative Instructions: Anesthesia
INSTRUCTIONS FOR PATIENTS BEFORE UNDERGOING GENERAL ANESTHESIA OR INTRAVENOUS SEDATION (IV SEDATION)
To assist you in the smooth and comfortable completion of your treatment, please follow the checklist instructions below:
- DO NOT EAT OR DRINK ANYTHING (INCLUDING WATER) FOR 6 HOURS BEFORE YOUR SURGERY. If ignored, this could lead to life-threatening consequences.
- DO NOT SMOKE OR DRINK ALCOHOL 24 HOURS PRIOR TO SURGERY.
- DO NOT DRIVE OR OPERATE HAZARDOUS MACHINERY THE SAME DAY AFTER SURGERY. Arrange transportation with a responsible adult to bring you to and from the office. Someone will need to take care of you for at least 6 hours after leaving the office.
- DO NOT WEAR LONG-SLEEVE SHIRTS OR JEANS. PLEASE WEAR LOOSE-FITTING, COMFORTABLE CLOTHING, SUCH AS A T-SHIRT WITH SHORT SLEEVES. You may wear a sweater/jacket over your shirt/blouse.
- DO NOT WEAR HEAVY MAKEUP, LIPSTICK, JEWELRY, OR CONTACT LENSES THE DAY OF SURGERY.
- PLEASE REMOVE NAIL POLISH FROM AT LEAST BOTH INDEX FINGERS (pointer fingers).
- PLEASE BRUSH YOUR TEETH BEFORE YOUR SURGERY, ESPECIALLY IN THE BACK (for wisdom teeth).
- AN ADULT MUST ACCOMPANY PATIENTS UNDER THE AGE OF 18 YEARS OLD TO OUR OFFICE.
- PARENTS OF CHILDREN WILL ONLY BE ALLOWED AT THE BEGINNING PHASE OF SURGERY. Parents will not be allowed in the room during surgery.
- PLEASE TAKE ALL ROUTINE MEDICATION(S) WITH A SIP OF WATER, AS ADVISED BY YOUR ORAL SURGEON (unless instructed otherwise).
- PATIENTS ON ORAL CONTRACEPTIVE/BIRTH CONTROL, please be aware that if your surgeon prescribes antibiotics for you, they will decrease the effectiveness of the contraceptive, and alternative methods should be utilized.
- PLEASE RESCHEDULE ANY DENTAL TREATMENT, SUCH AS TEETH CLEANING, FOR AT LEAST 2 WEEKS AFTER SURGERY.
If you have any questions about your surgery or the above instructions, please ask the surgical staff or your oral surgeon. We are committed to making your surgical experience a comfortable one.